Planning to work or to go on a vacation to Ghana but have no idea what to do or to prepare for? Read on for GoBeyond.SG’s top 13 tips, and own it in Ghana!
1. Research on local food culture of your destination country to mentally prepare yourself on the food available.
2. Ghana is not just bout fufu. Accra, the capital city of Ghana has fast food joints and international cuisine with new ones coming up.
3. Pack formal clothing. Ghanaians are very fashion forward!
4. Buy local cloth in your preferred print and tailor it to your own bespoke outfit.
5. Don’t let traffic jams stop you from shopping. You can buy literally ANYTHING from your car. (Yes, even puppies!)
6. If you happen to be invited for a Ghanaian funeral, you are allowed to wear red in addition to black.
7. Don’t be surprised if you find yourself in a party when you turn up for a funeral.
8. Ask the locals to help when you want to ride a tro-tro (aka Trosky), the cheapest form of public transport in Ghana.
9. Stock up on shampoo and conditional from your
supermarket in Singapore because they are super expensive in Ghana!
10. Don’t be surprised if Ghanians/Black African offer you a couple hundred of bucks for your long, straight hair. According to them, it’s a prized possession.
11. Experience the life of a queen and shop from your doorstep. Any type of shopping you need could come to you in just a phone call away
12. Pop in a salon and get your hair braided by a Ghanaian lady’s skilful hands.
13. Tipping a little goes a long way- Ghanaians will go the extra mile for you to make sure the job is done to your satisfaction after receiving this little extra from you.
Want to find out more about the Food and Culture of Ghana? Read on more on the experiences of Esther Yap, a Singapore who is working in Ghana as a marketing manager!
Also, let us know where you would like us to feature next simply by commenting below or on our Facebook page!